Once you’re live, click on the settings gear icon and you’ll see Public Preview under Public. Click on Request Invitation to continue, while you can also Revoke Invitation Request from here. You can return to the stable application at any time after joining.
If you are accepted, the Google Home app will display a notification saying that it will soon be updated to Public Preview.
Google says the following new features are currently in the Home app:
- Favorite: Easily access your favorite devices and actions. This includes the ability to favorite your cameras so you can watch live broadcasts when the app is running.
- distances: Quickly access groups of similar devices such as lights.
- Hardware: Find all your devices and check their status easily
- Updated camera, timeline and views:
- Video history vertical timeline: Swipe through hours of video history or jump right into the live view.
- Event views: Access the event list and scroll to a specific moment. Watch the video in landscape mode on your phone or tablet.
- Quick Actions: Watch and talk to anyone in front of the camera or doorbell with live or pre-recorded messages. Call emergency services (for US Nest Aware subscribers only), go into device settings, and download any event to your phone.
- Mini media player: See what’s playing in your home and adjust the volume or access the remote control.
- Activity: See what happened in and around your home.
- Settings: Find and manage devices, services, and household members.
The following “known issues” are also identified, including supported devices:
- Initially, you’ll be able to favorite your devices and actions in the Favorites tab, but not Automation. The ability to favorite your own automation will be coming soon.
- The new Camera Controller experience (with live and portrait log view) is only available for Nest cameras and doorbells set up with the Google Home app. These include the Nest Cam (battery), the Nest Cam with floodlight, the Nest Cam (indoor, wired), the Nest Doorbell (battery), and the Nest Doorbell (wired, second generation). Support for older cameras will be available soon.
- The redesigned Google Home app does not support a number of older devices (eg: Nest Protect) from the Nest app.
- Upon reinstalling, the app may revert to the old experience at first. Subsequent initiations will restore the public preview experience.
FTC: We use affiliate links to earn income. more.